Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Friday, January 25, 2008

Ready for a little break.

50 hrs of overtime plus started grad school this pay period.
Yesterday and today included more force-on-force training, which is good for a little adrenaline dump, and usually makes you feel good about the world, except that I probably burned a bridge or two when I negatively reviewed a trainer in a signed review, which I handed to him. Which he read in front of me.

Don't spend an hour lecturing me on your xenophobic point of view, telling me entire cultures are terrorists, and then expect me not put that on your review. I don't mind if you feel that way. I respect your position as Instructor too much to shout you down in class. But I will state my opinion on a review form, and sign it.

I'm tired, and frustrated.

I'm going to take a nap before working a deep night today.

But first, a quick Tiny Toons / They Might Be Giants break. (Buddy LawDog prefers Pinky And The Brain, but Tiny Toons had something, especially when they did music videos with TMBG.) (How is it that TMBG released their first geek rock album 22 years ago?).

Labels: , , , , , ,

8 Comments:

At Friday, January 25, 2008 6:44:00 PM, Blogger freddyboomboom said...

They did the music for LAIKA's award winning Moongirl short film, and are doing the music for LAIKA's Coraline stop motion animation film.

LAIKA did the video for their Bastard Wants To Hit Me...

I wonder how I know these things...

 
At Saturday, January 26, 2008 9:48:00 AM, Blogger Old NFO said...

Matt, good on you for standing up to the Instructor! You were right to put it in the critque rather than confront him. Hopefully, the instructor will take the CC and tone his rhetoric down.

More people need to do this more often! Too many instructors/professors think the lectern is their bully pulpit to say what THEY believe, not teach the material.

 
At Saturday, January 26, 2008 10:21:00 AM, Blogger CrankyProf said...

Animaniacs.

That's all I'm sayin'.

 
At Saturday, January 26, 2008 10:58:00 AM, Blogger HollyB said...

Well, Matt, sometimes the truth is hard to hear. But,if this instructor is maintaining that ALL people of a certain region or faith are terrorists...he needs to hear, as do his supervisors, the misinformation he's broadcasting.

You did it correctly. I mean by this, you didn't undermine his authority as instructor by challenging him in class for being a xenophibic bigot[which would have been my inclination]. You waited until after the course was completed. AND you were mature and sure enough of your opinions and ethical high ground to SIGN the evaluation, not turn in an anonymous critique as a sophomoric sniper. You showed a wi,llingness to discuss this issue further, should the instructor, or anyone in his chain of command, wish to pursue the matter.
Bravo for you, Matt! Bravo for taking a stand against ignorance. Bravo for taking a stand against bigotry. And most especially bravo for doing all that in a reasoned, appropriate way.

 
At Saturday, January 26, 2008 6:23:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

While I agree the TMBG/TT music videos are indeed most excellent, overall I've got to agree with LawDog on this one. Though if it makes you feel any better, I've had "The Parts of the Brain" stuck in my head all day because of this post.

"Neural cortex, frontal lobe..."
"Brain stem! Brain stem!"

(Now if only my word verification had been aypwip it would've been perfect.)

 
At Saturday, January 26, 2008 11:32:00 PM, Blogger phlegmfatale said...

Flood was a superb album. The thought of TMBG always makes me think of Ana Ng.

 
At Sunday, January 27, 2008 10:50:00 PM, Blogger Not Afraid to Use It said...

Ditto what Hollyb said. I, too, would have been inclined to duke it out in class, but doing it on a review will hopefully make a difference. Good on you!

 
At Tuesday, February 05, 2008 4:26:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always loved Ren and Stimpy. Don't want to know what that might say about me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.