Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Monday, November 19, 2007

What we like

[Edit: I began this blog off the cuff, and suddenly was called away for family issues. I apparently posted only the first 14 words. My apologies. ]

Back when I was working in the jail, I mentioned to a jailer that I had the night before prepared a great pot of wonderful pinto beans from scratch, and that they had been perfect. The salt pork (or bacon, I really don't recall which I had used), the garlic, the dash of cumin-- all had lent themselves to a superior pot of beans. I had then on this particular night taken the large portion of leftover beans and fried them in a giant cast iron skillet while mashing them with a pair of forks, resulting in a large batch of perfect refried beans. Bacon grease may or may not have been involved. I know that tortillas were employed to consume it.

My co-worker, who had mentioned that he was looking forward to lunch break, said simply, "I don't like refried beans. I don't really care for any beans, but I especially don't like refried beans."

I was astounded. It had never occurred to me that a person would utter such words without preceding them by the phrase "You're not going believe this, but..." or "I know it's bizarre, but..."

I mentioned this to my wife as we were prepping some Mexican fare last night, and she laughed as she asked rhetorically, "Did he also not like pizza, beer, or sex?"

Or coffee?

Labels: , , ,

15 Comments:

At Monday, November 19, 2007 8:41:00 PM, Blogger phlegmfatale said...

The suspense is killing me.

 
At Monday, November 19, 2007 9:06:00 PM, Blogger Mr. Fixit said...

Ahhhhh! the anticipa

 
At Monday, November 19, 2007 10:43:00 PM, Blogger Christina RN LMT said...

Yes....?

 
At Tuesday, November 20, 2007 10:54:00 AM, Blogger Arthur said...

Pizza, beer, sex? Yes, yes, very yes.

But I for one don't like coffee....even the smell of it reminds me of burnt wiring.

 
At Tuesday, November 20, 2007 11:25:00 AM, Blogger SpeakerTweaker said...

Wow. I was expecting anything but that last line.

Your wife is a bona-fide keeper. That one killed me!

Oh, and whatever the family business was, I hope all's well.



tweaker

 
At Tuesday, November 20, 2007 11:40:00 AM, Blogger drc said...

I can't stand beans either...of any type, shape, form or texture. Ugh. So I can sympathize with your co-worker. Oh...and I don't like beer, coffee or milk either! LOL! But pizza is great stuff - cold or hot - breakfast or dinner!!

 
At Tuesday, November 20, 2007 11:48:00 AM, Blogger Tam said...

I'm, uh... not real hot on the legumes myself, refried or no.

 
At Tuesday, November 20, 2007 12:32:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Adding baking soda to the soak water removes the reason most people are afraid to eat them.
Pythagoras, of all people, wrote on this. He believed the soul was air...

I have met Cub Scouts who have never eaten a bean in their lives. Not even been allowed near them.
OTOH, I have met Scout Leaders who probably are the reason for that...

 
At Tuesday, November 20, 2007 8:28:00 PM, Blogger Christina RN LMT said...

I'm German and I hate beer.
I have to adulterate coffee until it is almost unrecognizable before I can drink it.
Beans? Well, I don't go out of my way to eat them, but I don't avoid them, either!
Milk - two words: "lactose intolerance"
Soy milk rules, however.
Pizza? Could eat it every day!
Maybe there's hope for me yet...

 
At Tuesday, November 20, 2007 9:15:00 PM, Blogger phlegmfatale said...

I don't like pizza, but I'm astonished someone wouldn't like refried beans.

Does that mean he didn't like bean dip? Poor man.

 
At Wednesday, November 21, 2007 9:37:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I for one don't care for sex....

I'M KIDDING!!!!

I used to hate coffee, until I started drinking it to wake up or stay awake, then it kind of grew on me....

I also used to HATE beer. One day my Dad walked into the living room and saw me stirring sugar into a glass of beer. He said "What the Hell are you doing?!?" I explained that I was trying to learn to like beer... He shook his head and said "Either drink beer or don't drink beer, but don't do THIS shit!" Even in college I would buy wine coolers instead of beer.

Initially.

Then I started buying and drinking beer. And finally LIKING beer. There is only so much teasing I can take.

 
At Wednesday, November 21, 2007 9:39:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No beans?! Man I'd starve.

 
At Wednesday, November 21, 2007 11:04:00 AM, Blogger JPG said...

[*shaking head sorrowfully*] Well, it takes all kinds . . . .

I realize that I'm a bit provincial in my views,even downright chauvinistic at times. But most of the time, when I say I prefer one type of food over another, I've at least TRIED the other kind. I have to confess that there are certain "foods" that I have no desire to experience, and I guess this makes me at least somewhat narrow minded.

But to do without beans? Specifically, pinto beans. This is unthinkable to me. I'll sometimes cook up a big pot of beans and perhaps some ham, with suitable spices, and usually eat 'em with cornbread and onion. But when they become leftovers, they are probably destined to become frijoles refritos. I treat them just as Matt wrote. (Hell, you know he learned it somewhere.)

But I like refried beans so much that I'm really just as happy to start with the canned product. I usually employ Old El Paso or Gebhardt brand. I've also had excellent results with the supermarket house brands.

Hey, I've even done some very satisfactory refried beans with leftover green baby Lima beans. Necessity is truly the mother of invention.

 
At Thursday, November 22, 2007 9:15:00 AM, Blogger Matt G said...

I've actually made some fine refried beans from leftover black-eyed peas. This was on a January 2nd, IIRCC.

 
At Saturday, November 24, 2007 2:10:00 PM, Blogger Shay said...

I work with a very nice, decent, smart, good-looking young fella who doesn't like chocolate.

So far as I know that's his only abnormality.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.