Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Ron Mueck

I took my wife (the sculptor) to see the Ron Mueck exhibit at the Fort Worth Modern Museum yesterday.
Wow.
This guy does super-realistic polyester-resin and fiberglass sculptures of people. But he puts a tiny little twist on them-- he plays with scale. Sometimes just a little, like half-sized babies and 1.5 X Wild Man. But sometimes, as in the case of "A Girl," he turns a still-bloody newborn into a 25 foot long behemoth. Note how her face is squeezed like a walnut. She's no more happy about awakening from her slumber in Mama's uterus than my 5 year old was about being joggled out of bed for school today.

Then there was the Big Man, which, while sitting, was about my height. I would call him 3X, in total volume. Maybe more. You felt very, VERY uncomfortable about standing in front of this one-- he didn't like it.


Mueck was a special effects guy in the movies for years. What he gets is texture, and attention to detail. You never really appreciate how much a pimple adds to humanity, until you're seeing one on a 5-foot face lying on its side about a foot in front of you.

I halfway expected to smell them. (Yes, for good or bad, humans have an odor.) But they were sterile, empty of any scent.

Worth seeing.



13 Comments:

At Wednesday, September 26, 2007 9:19:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, man, that is creepy. I see what you mean about almost being able to smell them.

If I find my way up to Ft. Worth I will check them out. I wonder if this exhibit will come to Houston.

 
At Wednesday, September 26, 2007 11:05:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's...

I...

I think I'm going to skip lunch and sleep for a while.

 
At Wednesday, September 26, 2007 1:26:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pretty cool stuff. That ultra-realistic "What the FU....." vibe reminds me a lot of Charlie White, especially the Understanding Joshua series. Weird is good.

 
At Wednesday, September 26, 2007 3:10:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

...and from the department of "better late than never," I should probably mention that there is the occasional exposed lovely lady lump at that site, so viewers at work may wish to wait until they get home.

 
At Wednesday, September 26, 2007 4:11:00 PM, Blogger 5150Wife said...

Whoa. When that first pic came up, it gave me a start. That is one homely baby. LOL

Do you happen to know if that is a permanent display? Or will it be traveling? I'd be interested to know if it might be coming my way.


K-

 
At Thursday, September 27, 2007 12:23:00 AM, Blogger Murphy said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXuC6t6-VhA

Musical comedian Stephen Lynch has a song that fits nicely with that first pic.

 
At Thursday, September 27, 2007 5:56:00 AM, Blogger Matt G said...

The Mueck exhibit will be shown at the Fort Worth Modern Museum through October 21, 2007.

 
At Thursday, September 27, 2007 6:06:00 AM, Blogger Matt G said...

Pretty odd stuff, Stingray. About a world gone just a little bit more wrong than we had expected.

 
At Thursday, September 27, 2007 7:12:00 AM, Blogger phlegmfatale said...

How incredibly cool - I'll have to check that out. I LOVE the little old ladies!

 
At Thursday, September 27, 2007 4:40:00 PM, Blogger muse said...

That is awesome detail! The proportions and the poses make the total statement! Whatever it is.

 
At Friday, September 28, 2007 5:05:00 PM, Blogger Assrot said...

That is one ugly baby. I hope the kid he modeled it from looks better than that. If not, I pity the poor girl.

I suppose the big naked man is anatomically correct. It makes me sick just to look at. It also makes my Gadar go off the charts.

Joe

 
At Friday, September 28, 2007 9:16:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool???

I'm thinking "gross & disturbing" but, whatever.....

whatever floats your goat.....

BTW, thanks for helping me with my diet.... .... I think I'll skip dinner tonight! :)

 
At Saturday, September 29, 2007 7:54:00 AM, Blogger Matt G said...

Joe? Seriously-- NOT a gay exhibit. Yes, there were some nudes of men. And of women. And even, as in the case of the newborn, of babies.

But there wasn't anything even remotely sexual about any of them. Not even in the miniature "Couple Spooning," which portrays two people in one of the most intimate of poses, yet whose mere (scaled) inches of separation might as well be a gulf of miles. The fact that the couple of inches have been scaled down to a small fraction of an inch make that point even more significant.

Pretty decent portrayals of humanity.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.