Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Thursday, June 14, 2007

Finally...

...got my best friend on the phone this noon-- we've been missing connections for weeks, it seems. Did my best to shame him into making dinner happen tomorrow. Hopefully I'll get to see my god-children.

The nice thing about having a best friend of almost a quarter-century is that you don't sweat the small stuff. You can pick right back up. Scott knows that I don't need to know every little detail, and I know that he's cool without constant updates.

But why do we not make those little side-trips happen more often? Why don't we see our preferred companions more? Why don't I call in more "Man-Dates" (tm)? Because I'm stupid, that's why.

Pick up the phone.

Call your friend. If they won't pick up, leave voice mail. Or write a $.39 letter.

Make a date. If they're busy, ask them if they have to go to the damned grocery store, occasionally. Go with them.

Self-sufficiency is wonderful. I admire people that can and do manage it. But don't forget the pleasure of your friends' companionship. And if you're not forgetting it, don't forget how to partake of it. It's not that damned hard. It doesn't have to be a special event.

I'll bet Ted Kacynzki, sitting in his cell these days, sometimes thinks, "I shoulda had some people over to the cabin, occasionally..."

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At Thursday, June 14, 2007 5:42:00 PM, Blogger Ambulance Driver said...

ROFL...yeah, Ted probably coulda used the company. Maybe someone to proofread the manifesto...

 
At Friday, June 15, 2007 6:58:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Been a while since you've sent a letter, eh? UssPuss cranked a 1st class up to $0.41 a bit ago...

 
At Friday, June 15, 2007 9:25:00 AM, Blogger Matt G said...

Oh, all right-- a post card, then.

(Back in my day, sonny...)

 
At Saturday, June 16, 2007 12:39:00 PM, Blogger charlotte g said...

gee, makes me feel all warm and fuzzy about saying,"Why don't I come over?" (i.e., come to the house, eat your food, play with my grandchildren and likely ignore you, watch your tv and kick my own granddaughter out of her bed so I can sleep there.) Hey, it works pretty well for me. And apparently you'll cherish these moments when I'm gone. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.