Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Friday, April 27, 2007

Listening with half an ear to the news...

First, the stupid fluff:

Look, I understand that the story gets pumped up to salacious levels by papparazi, but how big a nancy-boy do you have to be, to get beaten up by Hugh Grant, of all people?!? How could you look your wife and kids in the eye again?

Then,

I understand on an intellectual level that this guy, if he intentionally took his 10 year old boy out storm chasing, was being irresponsible. But on an emotional level, I completely get this kid's enthusiasm as they videotape two tornados. I live in North Texas, right in Tornado Alley, and I've never seen one personally. They've flown over, and I've made an effort to see them, but I've never honestly gotten a clear view of one. "Coolest day ever!" the kid exclaims. Lucky, reckless S.O.B.'s.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At Friday, April 27, 2007 8:15:00 AM, Blogger HollyB said...

Are you SURE we're in Tornado Alley? I thought that was about 90 miles NW of where I am.
I've been as close as 5 miles to ones that were forming and touching down all the way from Brehnam to Killeen one May trying to make it From Houston to Killeen before a relative shuffled off this Earth.
Got stopped in Nolanville by a local LEO for doin' 73 in a 55 on Hwy 190. {This was back in '76, when all Highways had the speed limit reduced to 55 for fuel efficiency.} He questioned my sanity for driving in that weather at all, and cited me for speeding. Didn't want to hear my sad tale of a dying relative I was trying to see one last time. I guess he'd heard it before, but this time it was TRUE.
Anyway, my rambling point is Tornadoes are scary, but somehow "magnetic" all at once.

 
At Friday, April 27, 2007 12:21:00 PM, Blogger Matt G said...

Holly, a week and a half ago, my wife, my kids, my father, my brother, and my very ownself were withing 3 miles of a tornado(brother was basically under the funnel before it touched down); go right ahead and tell me that I wasn't in Tornado Alley, then.

Really, our Canine LEO friend resides in the middle of the Alley, but I think that the edges are pretty amorphous.

Here's one map of "Tornado Alley" that conforms to my thoughts on the subject-- here's another map (and article) that conform more with yours.

But there are others, including depictions of areas so vast, the word "alley" seems hardly appropriate. (Apparently the county north of NYC is mighty risky!) :)

 
At Friday, April 27, 2007 12:22:00 PM, Blogger Matt G said...

And I've done a LOT faster than 73 on 190! Heh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.