Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Two objects may not occupy the same space at the same time...

The Sony LBT-G2000 Remote Controlled Compact Hi Fidelity Stereo System was a pretty neat little stereo in its day, about 15 years ago. It put a five-disc changer turntable, dual cassette deck with high-speed dubbing, digital radio tuner, and a graphic equalizer (admittedly only 3 bands) into a box of about 18"X18"X15"W, with a pair of respectable midsized Sony satellite speakers on about 10 feet of cable to array to each side. The sound is quite good, and the little remote is handy. My wife bought it new back in the mid-90's, and it was her main stereo until we got married, at which point my big old component system took center stage in the living room. We put hers in our bedroom.

On top of my dresser.

Which is by the door.

Which is where one might set one's beverage upon entering the room.

Now, I know better than to set my drink on TOP of such an item. So when I came into the bedroom this afternoon to change clothes for class, I naturally set my completely-full tumbler of dark black coffee on the edge of the dresser, in front of the stereo. Being naturally clumsy and attempting to account for that, I put the tumbler as far from the edge of the dresser as a I could, which meant that I was placing it almost against the front of the stereo. At this point, apparently, my knuckles brushed the front of the machine. I went to the bed to sit down to put on some socks, and heard... whirring. Why? What? I turned just in time to see the five-disk turntable sliding smoothly out of the apparatus, under power by a motor and gears that were undoubtedly the pride of the Orient in the mid-'90s, but which were the bane of my most immediate moment. The drawer-type turntable emitted from the stereo to present its cargo of Johnny Cash, Enya, and/or David Sedaris audio book CDs, whilest pushing about 18 ounces of home-brewed, fresh-ground Starbucks Extra Bold Italian Roast off of the dresser and onto my oatmeal-colored carpet.

I muttered some unpleasant oaths and got some big towels, and sopped up my mess for the next 10 minutes.

Then I had to go grind some more coffee to brew.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At Wednesday, February 07, 2007 5:55:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doeh! Better luck next time.

 
At Thursday, February 08, 2007 12:13:00 AM, Blogger Ambulance Driver said...

Dang, Matt! What you should do is leave one disc slot empty, open the CD turntable, and place your tumbler IN the open slot. Voila! Perfect cup holder!

If you have to sacrifice some of your music to have an available cupholder...sacrifice the Enya CD. Please. ;)

 
At Thursday, February 08, 2007 6:31:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least it wasn't a waste of *good* coffee :D

Regards,
Rabbit.

 
At Friday, February 09, 2007 4:47:00 PM, Blogger Matt G said...

Actually, Bunny Man, it was dang good coffee. I take my bean brewing pretty seriously. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.